This website will provide you with vital information to assist you in helping your school and district close the achievement gap.
Also, parental involvement professionals will utilize this website to exchange information and share the best practices among districts and schools to bring about more engagement of parents and communities.
Based on extensive research conducted by Joyce Epstein, PH. D., John Hopkins University, school districts, as well as a number of national organizations, have embraced the six components that comprise the basis of this study.
The six components, included in Dr. Epstein's work, "School/Family Community Partnerships: Caring for the Children We Share," have become accepted by state departments of education, the National Parent Teacher Association, and other entities as the national standard for parent involvement.
PIE has also adopted these fixed components to accomplish it's mission:
- PROMOTINGPOSITIVEPARENTING: Assisting families with parenting and child rearing skills, understanding child and adolescent development, and setting home conditions that support children as students at each age and grade level, while assisting schools with understanding families.
- IMPROVINGCOMMUNICATION: Communicating with families about school programs and student progress through effective school-to-home and home-to-school communications.
- INCREASINGVOLUNTEERISM: Improving recruitment, training, work, and schedules to involve families as volunteers and audiences at the school or in other locations to support students and school programs.
- ENHANCINGSTUDENTLEARNINGATHOME: Involving families with their children in learning activities at home, including homework and other curriculum-related activities and decision.
- SUPPORTINGDECISION-MAKINGANDADVOCACY: Including families as participants in school decisions, governance, and advocacy through School Parent Organizations, the school decision-making body, special school or district committees and the district parent organizations.
- COLLABORATINGWITH THECOMMUNITY: Coordinating resources and services for families, students, and the school with businesses, agencies, and other group, and providing services to the community.
Click here to view our mission.